Paid Time Off
Time off — including medical and sick leave — will ensure that your employee is rested and healthy and ready to do her job well.
Here are some guiding principles around offering paid time off:
- For full-time employees, provide at least 5 paid sick days per year; and for part-time employees, 1 hour for every 30 hours worked.
- For full-time employees, provide at least 2 weeks of paid vacation per year; and for part-time employees, 1 hour for every 30 hours worked.
- Any un-used vacation should be paid out as additional pay when the worker leaves the job.
- Provide the standard 8 paid government holidays or agreed upon holidays of the employee’s choice.
- Try to provide at least one month of paid family or medical leave, with guaranteed employment upon return.
Find out about any additional laws and standards that apply specifically to your state.
Have more questions? You can find more information, resources, and answers here.